It looks like Paris Saint-Germain will leave the Parc des Princes. According to chairman Nasser Al-Khelaïfi, despite many attempts by the municipality, the current accommodation has not turned out to be for sale. The club is therefore looking ahead to building a new stadium.
Al-Khelaïfi was re-elected as head of the European Club Association (ECA) at the UEFA congress in Paris on Thursday. The director will now head it until 2028. Al-Khelaïfi also spoke to reporters there about the situation surrounding the Parc des Princes.
“It's too easy to say that the stadium is no longer for sale,” he said. “We know what we want, we wasted years trying to buy it. It's easier for us now, we know what we want. It's over for us. We want to leave the Parc.”
Last year, PSG stated that it was looking at alternatives for the Parc des Princes. This followed the decision of Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo, who declared that the stadium is not for sale. The municipality of Paris confirmed again on Tuesday that the municipality of Paris has not deviated from that position.
“A sale is not desirable, because that would be a decision with no return,” said Pierre Rabadan, the deputy mayor of Paris, who has sports in his portfolio. “That is why we must rule out the sale of the Parc today. We do not want to sell the legacy of Paris.”
PSG was founded in 1970 and has played at the Parc des Princes since 1974. Since the arrival of Qatari owners in 2011, PSG has grown into a top European club, although the much-desired Champions League is still missing from the trophy cabinet. The club did win the Ligue 1 nine times.
In order to continue to grow, the board has been wanting to buy the Parc des Princes for years, in order to increase the stadium capacity, among other things. The current stadium can accommodate 'only' 49,691 spectators. The club management initially also had the idea of involving the Stade de France, but abandoned that idea. Therefore, a new stadium will have to be built.
More sports news