Dries Mertens may represent an adventure in Turkey. Galatasaray has made an official offer to the Belgian, according to transfer market expert Fabrizio Romano. Napoli’s all-time top scorer has been on a free transfer since this summer following his departure from southern Italy. The Turkish club hopes to tempt the 35-year-old Belgian with a generous salary into employment in the Süper Lig.
Mertens’ adventure in Naples ended after he and chairman Aurelio De Laurentiis failed to reach an agreement for a new commitment. After nine years, the employment of the Belgian international in the Diego Armando Maradona Stadium came to an end. Mertens played a total of 396 official games for Napoli, scoring 148 goals and providing 90 assists. According to Romano, Mertens can join Gala a net salary of no less than four million euros.
Working next to the ex-PSV player Cimbom currently finalizing the transfer of Lucas Torreira. According to Romano, the 26-year-old Uruguayan has already given his yes to Galatasaray, who will transfer around six to seven million euros to Arsenal. Torreira and his agent will travel to Istanbul one of these days to complete the transfer. Galatasaray strengthened itself earlier this transfer period with, among others, Sérgio Oliveira, Léo Dubois and Fredrik Midtsjø.
Last Wednesday, journalist Gianluca Di Marzio reported that Ajax would be a possible destination for Mertens, although that message was quickly debunked by Mike Verweij of The TelegraphMertens said goodbye to Napoli in an emotional way this week via his Instagram account. Mertens did this with the help of his son Ciro, who was born in Naples. “I am so proud that my son Ciro was born in Napoli. Wherever he travels in the world, he will always remain Neapolitan.” It is certain that the Belgian, whose football future is still unclear, will return to Naples. His family owns the house by the sea that they own. “So that I can return as often as possible,” said the attacker.
More sports news